Browse Items (104 total)

Photograph taken December, 1939. Shown are fourteen men assigned to the Pueblo City Engineering Office as part of WPA work projects. Background is the Memorial Auditorium. Note the variety of work clothing and footwear. One man holds what appears to be a plate. 1 photograph : b&w ; 9 x 15 cm. (3 1/2 x 5 3/4 in.)

Photograph taken January 10, 1939. Assistant City Engineer John Sealey stands on a box taking survey measurements in the 700 block of north Main Street, on the east side of the street. Clarence Studinski assists him, writing down measurements. Scene shows two additional men, one sweeping the street, the other holding the survey pole. Businesses in background include: Hamburger Inn (note the 5 cent hamburger), City News, and Patsy's Popcorn. 1 photograph : b&w ; 9 x 15 cm. (3 1/2 x 5 3/4 in.)

Photograph dated January 10, 1939; taken by D. White. John Sealey, Assistant City Engineer, is using a transit to take survey measurements in the 600 block of north Main Street in connection with planned WPA projects. Accompanied by Clarence Studinski, Mr. Sealey stands on a box and the transit is mounted on a tripod with extra long legs, allowing it to be used to sight over automobiles. Showing at the Main Theater: Gary Cooper, in "The Cowboy and the Lady." Buildings and signs along the street include: White & Davis store sign, the Albany Hotel, and the Crews-Beggs building. 1 photograph : b&w ; 9 x 15 cm. (3 1/2 x 5 3/4 in.)

Photograph taken April 21, 1938. Costumes made as part of a National Youth Administration sewing project. These appear to be a court jester with his stick puppet, a peasant lady, and three toy soldiers. Probably part of the cast for a school play, the young people are modeling the costumes on the front steps of Keating Junior High School. 1 photograph : b&w ; 13 x 18 cm. (5 x 7 in.)

Photograph dated April 21, 1938. These costumes were made by a National Youth Administration sewing project. Probably created for a school play, they may be representing Dutch boys and girls. Young people modeling the costumes are standing on the front steps of Keating Junior High School. 1 photograph : b&w ; 13 x 18 cm. (5 x 7 in.)

Photograph dated April, 1938. These appear to be peasant costumes, probably for a school play. They were sewn as part of a National Youth Administration sewing project. Young people modeling the costumes are standing on the front steps of Keating Junior High School. 1 photograph : b&w ; 13 x 18 cm. (5 x 7 in.)

Photograph taken April 21, 1938. Costumes for lords and ladies of the "royal court." Created as part of a National Youth Administration sewing project, probably for a school play. Young people modeling the costumes are standing on the front steps of Keating Junior High School. 1 photograph : b&w ; 13 x 18 cm. (5 x 7 in.)

Photograph taken April 21, 1938. Costumes made by a National Youth Administration sewing project, perhaps to be worn in a school play. They appear to represent flowers, butterflies, and maybe fairies, also. Young people modeling the costumes are standing on the front steps of Keating Junior High School. 1 photograph : b&w ; 13 x 18 cm. (5 x 7 in.)

Photograph taken April 21, 1938. More costumes made by a National Youth Administration sewing project. Probably created for a school play, these appear to be clowns, toys, perhaps horses, also. Young people modeling the costumes are standing on the front steps of Keating Junior High School. 1 photograph : b&w ; 13 x 18 cm. (5 x 7 in.)

Photograph taken April 21, 1938. These costumes were made by a National Youth Administration sewing project. Probably created for a school play, these appear to represent a king, queen, knights, and ladies of the royal court. Young people modeling the costumes are standing on the front steps of Keating Junior High School. 1 photograph : b&w ; 13 x 18 cm. (5 x 7 in.)

Photograph dated March 21, 1934. CWA workers are plowing and breaking out a roadway to extend East 9th Street. This excavation was Project 16. Workers are using picks, shovels, and two horse drawn plows. A small truck and horse drawn wagons are in the distance. Note the shale rock they are breaking through and depth of the excavation. 1 photograph : b&w ; 20 x 26 cm. (8 x 10 in.)

Photograph taken ca. 1938. The swine building was one of several buildings constructed by WPA workers on the Colorado State Fair grounds. Built of limestone. View here is at northeast corner of building. Workers are preparing wooden forms for concrete stairs, with ladder to roof in background. 1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 12 cm. (3 x 4 3/4 in.)

Photograph dated May 23, 1938. Bridge under construction by WPA work crew on Highway 96, intersection of Lincoln Street and Adams Avenue. Project would include excavating, removing and rebuilding fences, constructing and surfacing the bridge, and building culverts. Wooden forms for concrete are being assembled, with crane in background. 1 photograph : b&w ; 9 x 15 cm. (3 1/2 x 5 3/4 in.)

Photograph taken ca. 1936 by John H. Wheat. WPA crew is working in the 800 block of North Santa Fe Avenue. Project includes installing a 12-inch drainage pipe, widening and paving the street. Surveyor's tripod in background. Note the excavation around the fire hydrant and drain cover in foreground. The B.K. Sweeney Electric Company was located at 814 North Santa Fe; Super Service Stores (horizontal sign on building) was a division of Sweeney Electric Company. 1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 12 cm. (3 x 4 3/4 in.)

Photograph taken ca. 1938. WPA crew shown working at digging a trench, corner of 5th Street and Court. Equipment includes picks and shovels, with a generator to power the jackhammer, just visible at far left. Building in background housed the Hendrie & Bolthoff Manufacturing and Supply Company, 221 W. 5th Street. 1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 12 cm. (3 x 4 3/4 in.)

Photograph taken ca. 1935. CCC camp members and the catch of the day. Recreation projects, outdoor activities, and sports were encouraged when members were not working. Location shown may be Beulah Mountain Park or Lake San Isabel. Fish are probably trout. 1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 12 cm. (3 x 4 3/4 in.)

Photograph taken ca. 1935. This canvas tent with wooden sides and floor was used as the infirmary for the CCC camp at Beulah Mountain Park. Three men stand in front of the tent, with another man almost hidden in shadow just inside. Note the "Infirmary" sign is mounted on the tree. 1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 12 cm. (3 x 4 3/4 in.)

Photograph taken ca. 1936. CCC Company 801 basketball team: nine players, and two coaches. Basketball was part of the recreation provided to CCC workers. Other sports were offered also, as well as clubs, weekly movies, and outings. 1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 12 cm. (3 x 4 3/4 in.)

About 250 enrollees and supervisors were members of CCC Company 801, housed at the Colorado State Armory, south of the State Fair. Youth came from Texas, Oklahoma, and Colorado and worked on improvements at Beulah State Park. They planted trees, built bridges, improved roads, built playgrounds and camp sites. "SP" attached to the company number meant it was associated with a state park. Photograph taken ca. 1938. 1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 12 cm. (3 x 4 3/4 in.)

Photograph taken ca. 1935. This new bridge was one of several projects completed at Beulah Mountain Park by CCC workers. Built of rocks with a concrete finish at the top, it replaced an old wooden bridge. Note the road improvements, also done by CCC workers, and road winding to upper left with new cattle guard installed. All such improvements were done by CCC crews. 1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 12 cm. (3 x 4 3/4 in.)

Photograph taken ca. 1935. This bridge was replaced by CCC workers as one of the conservation and beautification projects done by the CCC. Wooden bridge spanned a small creek near entrance to Beulah Mountain Park. Shown are seven workers with one man at right working on road. Sign "Pueblo Mountain Park" states regulations for use of the park. Note snow and mud on road and bridge. 1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 12 cm. (3 x 4 3/4 in.)

Photograph taken ca. 1936. Shown is a new main gate, including a cattle guard, constructed at Beulah Mountain Park. Work has been done by crew of CCC workers. Road and bridge improvements and other enhancements were made to this park and to other public parks, as part of work done by CCC. 1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 12 cm. (3 x 4 3/4 in.)

Photograph taken ca. 1935. Forms for concrete cattle guards and bridge are in place, at main entrance of Beulah Mountain Park. Work being done by crew of CCC workers. Forms in foreground are partially filled with concrete. 1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 12 cm. (3 x 4 3/4 in.)

Photograph taken ca. 1935. Work crew with the CCC are building concrete forms for a cattle guard at the main gate of Beulah Mountain Park. Tools are saws, hammers, wheelbarrows, and small cement mixer. Large container at right probably used to store and transport tools and supplies. 1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 12 cm. (3 x 4 3/4 in.)

Photograph dated December 30, 1933. One of several CWA street projects. Here workers are moving soil with wheelbarrows. At left is delivery truck for Bolt Floral. Note the mailbox on corner at left. View is 1900 block of Spruce Street looking north from Minneque Avenue. 1 photograph : b&w ; 20 x 26 cm. (8 x 10 in.)

Photograph dated December 30, 1933. One of several CWA street projects. Here workers are leveling the street and preparing to construct curbs and gutters. Equipment is shovels, pitchforks and rakes. String on stakes marks left edge of street. View is 2000 block of East Routt Avenue, from Minnequa Avenue south. 1 photograph : b&w ; 20 x 26 cm. (8 x 10 in.)

Photograph dated February 14, 1934. Shown is the work crew for CWA Project 32 A. These workers prepared the street surface and constructed curbs and gutters. Equipment consisted of shovels, picks, rakes and hand tools. Men wearing ties may be supervisors. View is 700 block of Corona Avenue. To left: Bush & Sons Auto Repair (then numbered as 735 W. Corona); houses are 721 and 725 Corona Avenue. Note the dog being held, middle front row. 1 photograph : b&w ; 20 x 25 cm. (8 x 10 in.)

WPA headquarters building on grounds of the Colorado State Fair. Used for arts and crafts exhibitions. Building with cupola was used by the police department, and still stands, the oldest building of the State Fair. Grandstands can be seen in background. 1 photograph : b&w ; 9 x 15 cm. (3 1/2 x 6 in.) Photograph taken ca. 1939.

Photograph taken ca. 1938. 1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 12 cm. (3 x 4 3/4 in.) The practice tower for the Pueblo Fire Department is shown in use, with firefighters taking part in a training exercise. Tower was built as CWA Project No. 17. View is at south side of Memorial Auditorium, with six firefighters practicing and hose on ground. Tower has been relocated twice and is still in use.

Photograph taken ca. 1938. The practice tower for the Pueblo Fire Department is shown in use, with firefighters taking part in a training exercise. Tower was built as CWA Project No. 17. View is at south side of Memorial Auditorium, with six firefighters practicing and hose on ground. Tower has been relocated twice and is still in use. 1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 12 cm. (3 x 4 3/4 in.)

This practice tower for the Fire Department was built as CWA Project No. 17. Located at 100 Central Main, in back of Memorial Auditorium; building to right was the police and fire station, formerly consolidation city hall for Pueblo, South Pueblo and Central Pueblo. Five workers are on the construction, with one pedestrian at right. Tower has been relocated twice and is still in use. Photograph dated January 30, 1934. 1 photograph : b&w ; 20 x 26 cm. (8 x 10 in.)

Photograph taken ca. 1938 by R. E. Reeves. 1 photograph : b&w ; 13 x 18 cm. (5 x 7 in.) WPA workers are shown constructing playground equipment at Mineral Palace Park. Other parks improvements included laying sod, landscaping and painting. Their tools are ladders, sawhorses, and hand tools. This equipment was later removed for construction of I-25.

Photograph taken ca. 1938 by R. E. Reeves. One of several recreation centers in Pueblo sponsored by WPA and CWA. Centers might contain a library/reading room and game room, and would offer classes in photography, arts and crafts, and literature. Exercise programs and sports activities were also offered. Located at 1323 East Evans, this building formerly housed the Western Accordion Company. Note the photo display in window, sports netting for games, and roll-down front awning. 1 photograph : b&w ; 12 x 18 cm. (4 3/4 x 6 3/4 in.)

Shown is the expanded greenhouse at Mineral Palace Park, part of a WPA project. Also included were building a conservatory and remodeling the florist's residence. New heating equipment was installed in both residence and greenhouse. Built of native limestone. Plants were grown here to be used in parks throughout the city. Two men are working in a planting bed, with a small boy riding a pony. Buildings were later demolished for new greenhouse, built on site of the Mineral Palace. Photograph taken ca. 1938. 1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 12 cm. (3 x 4 3/4 in.)

Photograph taken February 14, 1934. One of the earliest CWA projects, No. 59 was for painting, cleaning and refurbishing the interior of the City Auditorium. These eight men wear painters' coveralls; name on man's cap at left is Florman's Paints & Glass, a local company. Note bow ties worn with coveralls. Auditorium located at 100 North Union Avenue. 1 photograph : b&w ; 20 x 26 cm. (8 x 10 in.)

Cleaning, repair and renovation of the Pueblo City Auditorium was CWA Project No. 59. Note scaffolding suspended from ceiling, light fixtures, and a portion of the organ pipes. View is of the balcony, with some of the box seats at right. Located at 100 North Union Avenue. Photograph taken December 28, 1933. 1 photograph : b&w ; 20 x 26 cm. (8 x 10 in.)

Men's slacks and trousers are shown at a WPA clothing commissary. This clothing was made by workers in a WPA sewing project and would be given to the needy. Note the wooden tables, with a light bulb laid on the dark items at right. 1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 12 cm. (3 x 4 3/4 in.) Photograph taken March 2, 1938.

Photograph taken ca. 1938. Shown are stacks of shirts, blouses and other clothing items made by workers of a WPA sewing project. All items were distributed to the needy. A sweater knitted by a WPA worker hangs on display at left. Paper roll and cutter is at end of table in foreground. 1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 12 cm. (3 x 4 3/4 in.)

WPA recreation centers such as this center at Bruner Park, provided opportunities to learn new skills, to exercise, and to enjoy cultural amusements and activities. They were intended for both children and adults. Shown are women working on sewing projects at a wooden work table; with them are a baby and a small boy. Bruner Park is at the corner of Beulah and Veta Avenues. Photograph taken ca. 1938, by R. R. Reeves. 1 photograph : b&w ; 13 x 18 cm. (5 x 7 in.)

Photograph taken December 2, 1938. Five ladies display handmade dolls and stuffed animals, a WPA project to provide employment for women. Location shown was at 222 South Union Avenue. Toys were made from scrap materials and distributed to the needy. Rag rugs, clothing and cloth household articles were also made as part of the sewing projects. 1 photograph : b&w ; 9 x 15 cm. (3 1/2 x 5 3/4 in.)

Photograph taken March 2, 1938. A baby is modeling a sweater made by a WPA knitting project. These projects were one of the WPA programs to provide employment, mostly for women. Sweaters, caps, and other garments were knitted in all sizes. Behind the woman and baby are completed garments, ready for distribution to the needy. 1 photograph : b&w ; 9 x 13 cm. (3 1/2 x 5 in.)

Photograph taken March 2, 1938. Knitting projects were some of the WPA programs to provide employment, mostly for women. They knitted sweaters, caps and other articles of clothing for free distribution to the needy. Shown are sweaters, baby clothing, and caps, completed and ready for use. 1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 12 cm. (3 x 4 3/4 in.)

Photograph dated November, 1935. Pueblo Archery Club, one of the recreational projects of the WPA. Location of photograph may be the Colorado State Fair grounds, or grounds of Central High School. WPA provided bows and arrows to participants. Group consists of both adults and young people. 1 photograph : b&w ; 13 x 18 cm. (5 x 7 in.)

Photograph taken ca. 1939, by R. E. Reeves. Football game being played as part of WPA supervised recreation programs. This game takes place on the site of the Mineral Palace building, Mineral Palace Park. Note the players are children and adults. Goal post almost hidden in trees. 1 photograph : b&w ; 12 x 18 cm. (4 3/4 x 6 3/4in.)

Photograph taken Februaruy 3, 1938. Constructed by WPA workers, Project no. 2726, Scout Camp. This short-term camping facility contained four rooms: assembly room, kitchen, dining room, and dormitory. Equipped with doubledecked steel bunk beds, it could accommodate thirty-two boys. Note the southwest design and flat roof. Building was demolished to make way for construction of Pueblo Boulevard. Camp grounds now part of the ball park at City Park. 1 photograph : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm. (8 x 10 in.)

Photograph taken ca. 1938; taken by W. E. Reeves. One of several orchestras and bands employed through WPA musicians' projects. These groups gave concerts in schools and recreation halls, and also played for dances. This group consisted of seven men and two women. Photo lettered: "J. Lewis Dirc." 1 photograph : b&w ; 13 x 18 cm. (5 x 7 in.)

Pueblo CWA band, Project no. 70, directed by Will H. Samuel. First concert given January 7, 1934, at Memorial Auditorium. Concerts were scheduled each Sunday, through February 15, 1934. Consisted of thirty members (note the one woman). View is in front of Memorial Auditorium. Photograph dated January 21, 1934. 1 photograph : b&w ; 20 x 26 cm. (8 x 10 in.)

Photograph dated May 24, 1938. 1 photograph : b&w ; 13 x 18 cm. (5 1/4 x 7 in.) Machine shed built by WPA workers housed wagons, plows, and other equipment at the Pueblo County Farm. Worker is standing in middle of shed. The County Farm provided work and shelter for indigent county residents; products included milk and dairy products, fruits and vegetables, hay and feed crops, and chickens.

Hen house built by WPA workers on the Pueblo County Farm, located at Twentieth Lane and County Farm Road. A barn is at left, garden in foreground. Chickens are in the enclosure and a worker is at right. 1 photograph : b&w ; 13 x 18 cm. (5 1/4 x 7 in.) Photograph dated May 24, 1938.

1 photograph : b&w ; 9 x 15 cm. (3 1/2 x 5 3/4 in.) Photograph taken ca. 1940. Constructed by WPA workers and called Monkey Island, project included a lighthouse, moat, and retaining wall, all built of limestone. The small boat was named "Adah Mae." Note the visitors, parked cars, and sprinkler system.